In this section
I wish you a very happy new year and hope that 2019 brings you good health and happiness.
As we begin a new term and a new year, you and your child may like to re-visit the clubs and activities on offer to students. You may find something new or of interest for 2019.
The extracurricular timetables for each year group are on our website: http://www.lawnswoodschool.co.uk/main-school1/engagement/
All students and teachers now have free access to Seneca - a revision and homework platform making studying more fun. Seneca is an interactive way to learn official course content. The web app covers more than 150 exam board specific courses, condensing what students need to know for their exams.
The software is also able to identify gaps in learning. For instance, when you get a question wrong, the platform will repeat the topic in different formats. The smart algorithm within the software has proven to make students remember topics twice as fast. Seneca is free for students, teacher and parents. You can sign up at senecalearning.com.
Dropping children off for school and collecting them in the afternoon
If you drive your child(ren) to or from school, please do not drive onto school site.
When there are moving cars and lots of students on site at the same time, there is a greater chance of accidents.
Please drop off or collect students at a suitable place near school but not on the site.
I should be grateful if you would also park considerately in the local area; please do not block driveways or stop near to junctions.
As you know, we have introduced the ParentPay payment system for trips and school lunches. Students may pay for their lunch by cash (paid into the loaders outside the diners) or via ParentPay. These are the only payment options; we no longer accept cheque payments for lunches.
Year 11 mock exam results
On Thursday 17 January, our Year 11 students will receive their mock exam results.
Next week, we aim to simulate the experience they will have in August when they receive final results. Our aim is that the mock results day will help students be well prepared for their results day in the summer.
Staff will be on hand to celebrate with and to support students. Their subject teachers will also revisit the exam papers in lessons following results day.
Dates for your diary
- Week beginning 14 January: Year 11 reports will be published
- Thursday 17 January: Year 11 students will be given their mock exam results
- Thursday 17 January: Friends of Lawnswood School meeting in school from 7.00pm until 8.00pm (all welcome)
- Week beginning 21 January: Year 12 and 13 reports will be published Wednesday 23 January: Year 9 Options Evening from 5.00pm until 7.00pm
- Thursday 24 January: Ralph Thoresby School’s Consultation Evening for Year 12 and Year 13 Tuesday 29 January: Year 10 Target Setting Evening from 6.00pm until 7.00pm
- Tuesday 29 January: Year 11 Parent Information Evening - preparing for the final exams
Mrs J Bell Headteacher