In this section
Dear parent / carer
As we head into December and the last few weeks of term, I am pleased to provide updates on a few current topics and, as usual, to highlight dates for your diary.
Changes to student exits from school - update
Last Monday, we began our new routine for students leaving the building and school site at the end of the school day. I included details about the changes in my Headteacher’s Update letter posted to you two weeks ago.
So far, we have been pleased with the mature manner in which most of our students have adopted the new regime.
Unfortunately, pedestrians on some local roads are finding pavements blocked by parked cars or they are being approached by cars driving up onto the pavements. This presents risk to students and members of the public walking in the vicinity. If you collect your child from school by car and wait for them in the local area, I should be grateful if you would park considerately for residents and pedestrians and, ideally, turn off your car engine while you wait.
You are now able to pay for school lunches by using ParentPay. With effect from Monday 7 January 2019, the catering provider, Chartwells, will no longer accept payments by cheque. Therefore, from next term, credits can be added to accounts by ParentPay or by the student using his/her fingerprint at a machine in school.
Festive jumper day
On Friday 21 December, which is the last day of term, we shall have a Festive Jumper Day. Students and staff will be encouraged to donate money to charity and, in return, be allowed to wear the most festive and/or daft seasonal jumper for the day.
If you are able to make your child’s donation through ParentPay, that would help us to raise funds efficiently and minimise and cash confusion on the day.
In the next couple of weeks, as festive activities you may want to be aware of the following:
- First two weeks of December: Year 8 Commitment Weeks
- Week beginning 3 December: Year 11 mock exams and Year 12 vocational mock exams begin
- Monday 17 December: Year 10 GCSE drama performance
- Tuesday 18 December: Year 11 taster day (experience of post 16 options)
- Tuesday 18 December: Year 8 disco from 5.00pm until 7.00pm
- Wednesday 19 December: Christmas lunch in the diners
- Wednesday 19 December: Winter Festival from 6.30pm until 8.30pm
- Thursday 20 December: Year 7 disco from 5.00pm until 7.00pm
- Friday 21 December: Festive jumper day
- Friday 21 December: school finishes for students at 12.30pm
Mrs J Bell Headteacher